Sep 2017 : Report of CME on Recent Updates on PathologyMVJ Medical College & Research Hospital, Bengaluru
THEME OF THE PROGRAMME – “Recent Updates in Pathology”
CONDUCTED ON – 23rd September 2017
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES –
To update the knowledge in classification & interpretation of newer entities in Prostate, Central Nervous system tumors and recent advances in the field of Blood banking, grossing of histopathological specimens & Quality management.
The programme began at 9.30AM with a formal inauguration & invoking the blessing of the almighty. About 130 delegates including consultants, teaching faculty, post-graduates attended and participated in CME. The out station candidates were in good number with representation from Mysore medical colleges, Bangalore Medical College, Kempegowda institute of medical sciences, Ambedkar Medical College East Point Medical College, Bangalore, PESIMSR, Kuppam, , Adichunchunagiri institute of medical sciences, BGS GIMS, Bangalore, ESIMC PGIMSR, Rajarajeshwari Medical College, Shridevi Institute of Medical Sciences, Karpagam faculty of medical science and research, Annapoorna Medical college, Salem, Shimoga Institute of medical sciences, Triesta Sciences St. Philomena Bengaluru, Khaja Banda Nawaz Institute of Medical sciences Kalburgi, Manipal Northside Hospital, Hassan Institute of Medical Sciences, Sambrahm Institute of Medical Sceinces, Kolar.
1) Recent advances in Prostate Pathology: Dr CSBR Prasad, Professor & HOD of Pathology, Sri Devraj Urs Medical College, Kolar discussed about the recent changes in the use of Gleason’s scoring of prostate tumors & clinical implications of its use in the management of the patients.
2) Good laboratory practices in Histopathology grossing by Dr. KV Santhosh, Consultant, RV Metropolis, Bengaluru, spoke about the importance of following protocols in grossing of histopathological specimens, some of the good practical tips on how to incorporate the same in our daily practice.
3) Recent updates in WHO classification of CNS tumors by Dr Nandeesh BN. Assistant Professor, Department of Neuropathology NIMHANS, Bengaluru. He spoke about the recent 2016 classification & newer entities in CNS Tumors. Use of important immunohistochemistry markers in these lesions was also dealt with in this talk.
4) Quality Control in Hematology by Dr Sitalakshmi S. Professor & HOD, Department of Clinical Pathology, St. John’s Medical College, Bengaluru. She spoke the various aspects which are important for generating an accurate report in the hematology section. Some of the problems encountered in day to day process of interpreting quality controls were also covered in this session.
5) NAT in Blood Banking, by Dr Siddique Ahmed, Professor, Department of Pathology, BMCRI, Bengaluru . He spoke about principals & technique of Nucleic acid Amplification test. He also spoke about the advantages & disadvantages of the same when compared to other techniques to diagnose transfusion transmitted diseases in blood banking
6) Quiz for Post graduates was conducted by the faculty of the Department of Pathology MVJ Medical College. A preliminary screening was done in between the sessions & four teams comprising of two postgraduates each were selected for the final round. Questions involving various topics of the Pathology were asked to them in five rounds. At the end postgraduates Dr Srijana Rao S P, Dr Rejani K Mysore Medical College won the first place, while Dr Nagarjuna BR & Dr Shaila, a team from Bangalore Medical College were declared runner ups. Prizes were distributed by Medical Superindent Col. (Dr). Surender Singh.
The CME ended successfully by vote of thanks by Dr Uma Bhai, followed by collection of participant feedback forms. Feedback analysis showed appreciation of selection of interesting topics as well as speakers from reputed institutes which would in turn improve the diagnostic capabilities. Hospitality and arrangements were also appreciated. Provision of handouts and soft copies of the power point presentations was suggested.
Click here to see the CME Brochure