The 46th Annual conference of KCIAPM was conducted on 21st and 22nd September 2019 with pre conference. CME on 20th September 2019. This was organized by B.V.V. Sangha’s Department of Pathology S. Nijalingappa Medical College and HSK Hospital and Research centre, Bagalkot
The organizing Team comprised of Dr.S.S.Inamdar as organizing chairman, Dr. Arun.T.Miskin as co-organizing chairman, Dr.Prabhu.M.H as organizing secretary, Dr. Archana. Dandin as co-organizing secretary and Dr. Deepa Masur as Treasurer.
Pre-conference hands on workshops: 8 hands on workshops were conducted in S.N.Medical College, Bagalkot on 19th September 2019, which includes.
- Autopsy Techniques
- Blood banking
- Digital Pathology
- Fluorescent in situ hybridization
- Polymerase Chain Reaction
- Semen Analysis
Over 110 delegates attended the workshops and the overall feedback was positive .
Gross pathology quiz was conducted on 19th september by Dr.A.T.Miskin, Bagalkot. Total 20 interesting specimens were displayed with relevant clinical history. The answers were displayed for next 3 days.
Pre-conference CME – 20th September 2019.
CME Sessions were conducted at S.N.Medical College, Bagalkot on 20th September 2019.
The sessions started at 9.00 am and included talks on
- Interpretation of Bone marrow aspiration and biopsy by Dr. K. Gayathri.
- Deceptive lesions of Bone –Histopathology Slide Seminar by Dr. RekhaV.Kumar.
- Cytology Slide Seminar by Dr. Siddaraju.N. and
- Fungal infections of Central Nervous system by Dr. Anita Mahadevan.
The sessions ended up till 1.30 pm.
After lunch break the topics discussed included
- Liquid biopsy by Dr. Chand Moula,
- Neonatal blood transfusion by Dr. Shamee Shastry,
- Postmortem findings in cardiovascular disorder by Dr. Shravan Kumar Jyoti and
- Serological diagnosis of infections disease by Dr. Basavaraj. V. Peerapur.
Around 250 Delegate attended these sessions on 20th September 2019. The sessions went smoothly as per the schedule.
A formal inauguration of KAPCON 2019 was conducted at 6pm, and was graced by presence Sri.B.Sriramulu, Honorable minister of Health and family welfare, Government of Karnataka.
Dr. Chander Sekhar additional director General, ICMR New Delhi was chief guest and Dr. Veeranna.C.Charantimath MLA, Chairman, B.V.V.Sangha, Bagalkot was president of the Inaugural ceremony. During the inaugural ceremony felicitation to Renowned senior pathologists of Karnataka which included Dr. H.R.Chandrashekhar, Dr. P.R.Mallur, Dr.J.H.Makannavar, Dr. Mahantappa and Dr. Shravana kumar Jyoti . The inaugural ceremony was concluded with a vote of thanks by the organizing Secretary, KAPCON 2019.
DAY 1st OF Conference, 20th Oct 2019
The first day of KAPCON 2019 Started off at 9.00 am with two parallel sessions in Hall A and Hall B including role of Immunohistochemistry in Female genital tract by Dr. Rekha .V Kumar Respectively.
Dr. K.Gayatri discussed about Approach to Thalassemia syndromes and solving the puzzle of blood grouping discrepancy in blood bank laboratory by Dr. Shameer Shastry. M.R. Parthasarathy and A.V.Ramprasad oration was delivered by Dr. Usha Kini. The session on Hematology slides seminar-Approach to diagnosis by Dr. Shantveer G. Uppin & Molecular basis of Lung tumors by Dr. Sudha Murthy.
Dr. Siddaraju.N. discussed about Cytodiagnositic approach to Hematolymphoid malignancies and Dr. Anitha Mahadevan discussed regarding nerve biopsy interpretation.
The general body meeting of KCIAPM was conducted post lunch on 21st Sep 2019.
Following topics were discussed
1] To continue Undergraduate Oral papers, so that students have further patient regarding research work.
2] To have separate office for KCIAPM.
3] General body members voted for not to implement live streaming of scientific sessions of conference.
4] Next KAPCON 2020 was decided to be hosted by RIMS, Raichur.
Parallel Paper and Poster Presentation session were conducted. Total 123 oral papers and 68 posters were presented. The top 5 papers were then selected for presentation on 22nd sep during valedictory function.
Day 2nd of Conference, 22nd OCT.
The session started early at 8: 30 am with KAPCON quiz 2019, of which cases were uploaded online over 4 weeks opened to both consultants and postgraduates. Answers to the quiz were discussed by Dr. Jayaram and he continued the session on Laboratory approach to Complications in Diabetes mellitus followed by Renal biopsy Interpretation by Dr. Suchitha.S.
Brochial lavage and FISH in Hematologic malignancies by Dr.Col U.S..Dinesh and Dr. Ganesh Pujari respectively. Dr. H.R.Chandrashekhar discussed regarding Approach to morphological diagnosis of skin adnexal lesions. A legal aspect of pathological practice was discussed by DR. Shankar Bakkannavar. The session ended up with challenges in establishing diagnostic center by Dr. Nanda Kishor Alva and Gatrointestinal Polyps and polypoidal lesions by Dr. Vidya Monappa.
The top 5 papers from day 1 of the conference were presented in the award paper session and each of the presenter performed exceptionally well. The most attractive session was paper presentations from undergraduate’s students who have conducted research in the field of pathology.
The Valedictory program of KAPCON 2019 started with welcome address by Dr.Vijay Shankar , Honarary secretary KCIAPM . Dr. Usha Kini taking over as president, KCIAPM from Dr. Shashikala (former president).
Dr. Sheeresha Mallik from J.J.M.M.C Davangere won the first place and was awarded binocular microscope sponsored by Matrix Labs. The ‘Best poster’ was awarded to Dr.Arati Vatge. Pathart, KAPCON quiz 2019 and gross quiz contest winners were awarded.
Tweeters and Facebook were used as way to reach everyone.
#KAPCON 2019 has seen upward of more than 3 million tweets on twitter.
Dr.Usha Kini declared “The Conference Closed”.
Highlights of the Conference were
1) The Scientific session topics were selected by online feedbacks from postgraduates and consultants.
2) All paper presentation halls were named in memory of great Indian Pathologists.
3) For the first time we have introduced Gross Pathology quiz in KAPCON for the post graduates.
4) Honoring of the renowned pathologist in Karnataka was appreciated by everyone.
5) The e –Souvenir was introduced.
6) More than 500 delegates attended KAPCON 2019 in the city of less connectivity.
7) Use of Google pay and Paytm for safe transaction.
8) Conducting 8 hands on workshop in single venue where resources limited.
9) Involvement of undergraduates students in KAPCON 2019 as part of conference enabled them to be aware of research activities and gave concepts about CME, Workshop and conference.