June 2014 : Report of CME on Gastrointestinal PathologySDUMC, Kolar
CME report of “Gastrointestinal Pathology” conducted at Sri Devaraj Urs Medical College, Kolar on 28th June 2014.
REPORT ON CME
THEME OF THE PROGRAMME – “Gastrointestinal Pathology”
CONDUCTED – 28th June 2014
VENUE: AV HALL, SDUMC, KOLAR
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES –
To know the recent advances in molecular diagnostic modalities and to update the knowledge in interpreting the biopsies ofGastrointestinal tract.
The programme began at 9.30AM with a formal inauguration by Vice Chancellor. Our HOD Dr.Harendra Kumar ML welcomed the gathering. We started our sessions invoking the blessing of the almighty and lighting the lamp for knowledge and prosperity. About 208 delegates including consultants, teaching faculty, post-graduates attended and participated in CME. The out station candidates were in number with representation from Mysore medical colleges, Bangalore Medical College, Kempegowda institute of medical sciences, International medical School, M.S Ramaiah campus, Bangalore, PESIMSR, Kuppam, JJMC Davangere, Adichunchunagiri institute of medical sciences, Fortis Hospital, Nagarabhavi, SSHIMS, Puttaparthi, JSS medical college, Mysore, Bangalore Baptist Hospital, ClumaxDiagnostics,BGS GIMS, Bangalore, CMC Vellore, Command Hospital Bangalore, ESIMC PGIMSR,GMC, Kerala, Hassan Institute of Medical College, KidwaiMemoraial Institute of Oncology,KimsHubli,KMCT Medical College Calicut, KVG Medical College, Mallige Medical Center, Narayana Health Center, Navodaya Medical College Rajarajeshwari Medical College,Shridevi Institute of Medical Sciences, Sri Venkateshwara Institute of Medical Sciences, Tirupati, SRL Reference Lab, Bangalore,St John’s Medical College,VIMS & RC,Vydehi Medical College, MVJ Medical College, .
1) Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma – a journey beyond morphology: DrRekha V Kumar, Professor of Pathology, Kidwai Memorial Institute of Oncology, Bangalore discussed about the use of various molecular diagnostic modalities in esophageal carcinoma that help us to define the prognostic and predictive factors.
2) Challenges in the diagnosis of inflammatory bowel disease on colonic mucosal biopsies by Dr. Anna B PulimoodProfessor of Pathology, Christian Medical College, Vellore, spoke about what are the problems in interpreting colonic biopsies for Inflamatory Bowel Disorder and how we can overcome the challenges .
3) ABC of Gastric Biopsiesby DrRajendiran S, Professor of Pathology, Sri Ramchandra Medical College, Chennai.He spoke about interpreting the gastric biopsies in various non-neoplastic and neoplastic conditions and the care to be taken while reporting the same.
This was followed by a lunch break of forty five minutes duration
4) Diagnostic dilemmas in Gastrointestinal Pathology – slide seminarby Dr. Anna B PulimoodProfessor of Pathology, Christian Medical College, Vellore. She spoke about some of the difficult cases encountered by us in day to day practice and how to interpret them properly.
5) Interesting cases in Gastrointestinal Pathologyby DrRajendiran S, Professor of Pathology, Sri Ramchandra Medical College, Chennai.. He spoke about some of the interesting cases in biopsies of gastrointestinal tract and demonstrated on how to arrive at the proper diagnosis.
The CME ended successfully by vote of thanks by Organizing Secretary Dr. Shilpa G followed by collection of participantfeedback forms. Feedback analysis showed appreciation of selection of interesting topics as well as speakers from reputed institutes which would in turn improve the diagnostic capabilities in gastrointestinal pathology. Hospitality and arrangements were also appreciated. Provision of handouts and CD’s of the Power Point presentations was suggested.